Wednesday, July 6, 2011

Here's to Beginnings...

Well here we are, what started out as a small custom order for friends and family and gift giving hobby is now trying to turn into a full fledged business.  I have started marketing and selling my hand made knit and crocheted baby hats and blankets, scarves, etc. and plastic canvas ornaments and magic wallets online.  here's our website skileyknits.etsy.com Its a scary thing putting yourself out there...

Years ago my dad contributed to a lot of craft shows, and for a few years before he died he and the rest of the family were heavily involved in the show circut.  But I never really got that involved at the time.  Now years later we're prepairing for our first big show and its terrifying and exciting at the same time.

DJ, he makes hand tied flies.  This started out as a joke.  I was going to learn to make them so that when he and I finally decide to make things legal I could put a small hand tied fly on each invitation- fishing is a MAJOR part of our lives.  The stuff came in and low and behold, he loves to tie flies and I don't have the patience to learn the skills.  I can sit down and knit or crochet for 6 or 8 hours and not blink an eye at it, but can't spend an hour at the vice.  Who knew? 

We've been doing the local farmer's market to get our names out there.  Its been a great learning experience for us, and lead to DJ branching out from just flies to now doing beaded and feather earrings.  And the earrings get more attention than the flies.

Well, off to sleep for this hopeful crafter.  More to come as time goes on.

No comments:

Post a Comment