Monday, August 1, 2011

Finding the Upside

Well, here we are, 2 days after the "big show" and let me tell you, what a letdown.  After all the weeks of busting our rears to get our inventory up where we wanted it to be, making new displays, reworking our table design, etc.  There was a horribly low turnout and we sold very little.  In the seven hours we sat there we made barely twice our booth fee and watched one vendor chase customers away from people's tables and another vendor complain the whole time about the fact that we had our little one with us. She is 4 and has been working markets with us all summer.  She knows how to behave and what is expected of her.  Almost every other vendor there complimented us on how well she behaved.  GRRR

On the upside, we did make enough money to cover the booth fee and lunch.  The girls got some adorable freebies.  I love the ducky soaps I bought the girls, and so do they.  We did some networking.  And we got a lot of good info on other local shows that do well.  While we were down there we ran into Hobby Lobby to get some beads that DJ needed that are cheaper there than through our other suppliers.  While we were there, I found a gold mine of clearance yarns and bought 7 skeins.  I would have happily bought more but we didn't make anything at the show so there was no more to spend, sigh.

I haven't finished writing the pattern I'll be giving away here, but I did get the one for my soap saver finished and tested.  The feedback from the test was positive so now its offered for sale. I sold more of these at the show over the weekend then any other category we offer.

Well off to bed for this hopeful crafter.  More to come as time goes on.

No comments:

Post a Comment